Serves: 6 to 8 people
- 1 bunch Cavolo Nero, cut into 2-inch ribbons
- 1 head savory cabbage, cut into 2-inch ribbons
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, cut into 2-inch ribbons
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 cups canned whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 courgette, diced
- 1 rib celery, diced
- 2 leeks (white parts only), sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 cups cooked cannellini beans, half pureed
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for finishing
- Salt, to taste
- 1 to 2 cups (2-inch) cubes stale bread
Place leeks, garlic in a large pot with olive oil over low heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until the leeks and garlic are soft but not browned.
Add the carrots and celery, and cook, for about other 5 mins. Add the potatoes and courgette and cook, stirring, until softened, about 8 more minutes.
At this stage, add the cavolo nero, Savoy cabbage, and chard, and cook,always stirring, until the greens are very soft.
Add the tomatoes, 1,5 liters of water and the beans. Season to taste with salt.
Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat to a simmer.
Cook until the vegetables are very soft, about 30 minutes.
Add the bread cubes to the soup, and simmer until the bread is breaking apart and the soup is very thick, about 10 minutes.
Let the soup rest off the heat for several minutes, and then ladle into warmed bowls. Drizzle a generous amount of extra virgin olive oil over each portion before serving.